Gateshead Marriott hotel evacuated, staff member rushed to hospital
Guests at a Gateshead hotel were evacuated after an incident in which the power supply failed and a staff member was injured.
The drama took place at the Marriott hotel, near the MetroCentre, on Sunday morning.
Paramedics took the employee to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle for treatment. His condition is currently unknown.
An investigation is currently underway into what the owners of the hotel chain claim to be a “problem” with the site’s electricity.
“We are investigating with the emergency services and the electric company to understand what caused a problem with our electrical system this morning,” said a spokesperson for the hotel.
“The safety and security of our customers and employees is always our first priority and when the lighting failed, we immediately evacuated our guests from the hotel.
“An employee receives medical treatment.
“Firefighters have now cleared the building as safe for everyone to enter the property.”
The drama unfolded at the Marconi Way hotel just as many guests reportedly woke up on Sunday.
A spokesperson for the North East Ambulance Service added: “We were called at 8:36 am this morning to receive reports of an injured person at the Marriott Hotel in Gateshead.
“We dispatched a specialized paramedic and an ambulance and took a male patient to the RVI.